Note : All links open new windows.
Meaning of the icons:
- Site in French
- Site in German
- Suitable for beginner
- If it is the first time you make mead or read about mead, forget about this one.
- Scientific content.
- L'hydre au miel
- Got mead?
- About mead
- Morse R.A.: Making mead (1992)
Dan McConnell, K. D. Schramm & G. W. Kent: An analysis of mead, mead making and the role of its primary ingredients
Composition of honey, effect of its components on mead, what honey is (from a chemistry standpoint) suitable for mead making.
Discussion about whether to "pasteurize", boil, filter, sulphite, etc. honey. Discussion of fermentation (biochemistry standpoint). 14 pages.
Quite a few interesting ideas for those who want to know and understand what is going on during the fermentation.
Streinkraus K. H. & Morse R. A.: Factors influencing the fermentation of honey in mead production, journal of apicultural research 5, 17 (1966)
Research article: authors carry various experiments of mead fermentation using various chemicals and vitamins. Ingredients found in yeast nutrients sold in homebrewing stores may come from this (kind of) work.
- Mead made easy
- Bee's lees
- Mead headquarters
- Mead hall
- Cats meow 3 Recipe database
- Mead FAQ
- The meadery
- Mead maker's page
- Rich Webb's mead discussion on preparartion of mead: 3 different points of view.
- Richard Jowsey's recipe (with pictures)
- Herstellung von Met
- Papazian C.: Brewing mead, Brewers publications (1986) 12 p + half a dozen of basic recipes.
- National honey board: Making mead: the art and the science (2000/2001?) [pdf file]
No author. Some parts look like things seen elsewhere. 7 p + 13 recipes from various books/sites.
- Spence P.: Mad about mead, Llewellyn (1997)
- K. Schramm: Compleat meadmaker, Brewers publications (2003)
- Gayre G. R. : Wassail ! In mazers of mead, Brewers publications (1986) (published with [H1] in a single book). Very complete.
- SCA brew
- ménagier de Paris: Bochet Recipe from the end of the XIV th century. Bilingual. Note the quantity of honey used.
- Sir Kenelme Digby: The closet Recipes written in 1669. The spelling of the name is loose: looking for more about him, also look for "Digbie".
- archbishop of Würzburg: Daz buoch von guoter spise (Das Buch von guter Spise) (1345-1354)
- Levi-Strauss C.: From honey to ashes (1966)
- Vallee B.: L'histoire des boissons alcoolisées, Pour la science n°250 (1998)
- Hackwood F. W.: Inns, ale and drinking customs of old England (1910)
- Enright M. J.: Lady with a mead cup, Four courts press (1996)
- Mead lover's digest (MLD). Letter send twice a week by e-mail. To subscribe, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Zymurgy. About fermented drinks, not just mead.
- Wine maker
January 24th 2003div>