Note : All links open new windows.
As the icon would apply to all books/sites, I will not use it.
- L'hydre au miel
- Mead made complicated
- Dan McConnell, K. D. Schramm & G. W. Kent: An analysis of mead, mead making and the role of its primary ingredients
Composition of honey, effect of its components on mead, what honey is (from a chemistry standpoint) suitable for mead making.
Discussion about whether to "pasteurize", boil, filter, sulphite, etc. honey. Discussion of fermentation (biochemistry standpoint). 14 pages.
Quite a few interesting ideas for those who want to know and understand what is going on during the fermentation.
- Streinkraus K. H. & Morse R. A.: Factors influencing the fermentation of honey in mead production, journal of apicultural research 5, 17 (1966)
Research article: authors carry various experiments of mead fermentation using various chemicals and vitamins. Ingredients found in yeast nutrients sold in homebrewing stores may come from this (kind of) work.
- Mead lover's digest (MLD). Letter send twice a week by e-mail. To subscribe, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rich Webb's mead discussion on preparartion of mead: 3 different points of view.
Webb AD (ed.): Chemistry of winemaking, american chemical society (1974)
Irion C.W.: Home winemaking chem 101 (2000)
Mitchell: Scientific winemaking made easy
Waterhouse A.L. & Ebeler S.E (ed.) : Chemistry of wine flavor, American chemical society (1998)
E. Peynaud and J. Blouin: "Knowing and Making Wine", Wiley-Interscience (1984)
P. Ribéreau-Gayon, D. Dubourdieu, B. Donèche and A. Lonvaud: "The handbook of enology 1. Microbiology of wine", John Wiley & Sons (2000)
P. Ribéreau-Gayon, Y. lories, A. Maujean and D. Dubourdieu: "The handbook of enology 2. The chemistry of wine stabilisation and treatments", John Wiley & Sons (2000)
Andrew Lea: The science of cider making
Janson L. W.: Brew chem 101, Storey (1996) Focused on beer but some ideas are general enough. Readable even without a deep knowledge of chemistry or biology.
Fix G. J. & Fix L.A.: An analysis of brewing techniques, Brewers publications (1997)
Focused on beer too. More complicated than B1 (knowledge of chemistry needed) but not applicable to mead.
- Monod J. : Recherche sur la croissance des cultures bactériennes, Hermannn (1941).
- Smart K (ed.): Brewing yeast fermentation performance, Blackwell (2000)
- Tuite MF & Oliver SG: Saccharomyces, plenum press (1991)
- Reed G & Nagodawithana TW (ed.): Yeast technology, avi (1991)
- Erickson LE & Fung D: Handbook of anaerobic fermentations, Dekker (1988)
- Yu P-L: Fermentation technologies, Elsevier (1990)
- Ward OP: Fermentation biotechnology, open university press (1989)
- Berry DR, Russell I & Stewart GG: Yeast biotechnology, Allen & Unwin (1987)
- Verachtert H & de Mot R: Yeast biotechnology and biocatalysis, Dekker (1990)
- Spencer JFT & Spencer DM (ed.): Yeast technology, Springer (1990)
G. Dupuis: Chimie générale et organique (1991)
- Armiger W. B. (ed.): Computer applications in fermentation technology, Wiley (1978)
January 28th 2003